Thursday, September 22, 2011

Recipe: Buffalo Chicken Salad

The other day I had to run out to the store to pick something up.  The store was right next door to a sports bar with an outdoor seating area, and the smell of buffalo chicken wings was wafting through the parking lot.  I love all things buffalo-style, so this really set off a craving.  Instead of indulging in deep fried wing goodness, I decided to throw together a buffalo chicken salad for dinner one night this week.  It came out really well, so I thought I would share the recipe.  I didn’t really measure everything, so most of these ingredients are approximates.

Buffalo Chicken Salad (serves 2)

1 head of lettuce, I used romaine
½ pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved

2 ounces of tortilla chips, I used Late July Sea Salt by the Seashore Tortilla Chips

8 chicken nuggets, I used Boca soy chicken nuggets since I don’t like to eat meat during the week

Blue cheese crumbles, about half a cup

Franks hot sauce, to taste, I used about ¼ cup

White wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons

Olive oil, ¼ cup


These tortilla chips were good on the salad,
but if eaten alone would need a dip of some kind


Cook the chicken (or fake chicken) nuggets according to the direction on the package.  In the meantime, chop up the lettuce and tomatoes, and crush the tortilla chips in your hand and put everything in a bowl. Put half the blue cheese crumbles in the salad.  Take the other half of the blue cheese crumbles and combine with the olive oil, vinegar and hot sauce.  Use a food processer or stick blender to blend until smooth.  When the chicken nuggets are done, chop up and add to the salad. Pour on the dressing and toss to combine.

I can be pretty “blah” about salads, but this was great.  It really had the flavor of buffalo chicken, and the crushed tortilla chips added the necessary crunch.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment