Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies

                I am not a huge dessert person.  I almost always choose salty/savory over sweet.  But sometimes I just like to bake something.  Being on Weight Watchers and baking from scratch can be complicated, mostly because I need to use all my daily points for breakfast/lunch/dinner and a snack, and almost never have any left over for dessert.  And I save my weekly points for the weekend and eating out.  My in-laws were coming for the weekend, and Scott had been bugging me to bake something, so I decided to look for a chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I was excited to find one on the Weight Watchers website that looked good.
                Disclaimer: usually when I look at a recipe I might be interested, I kind of skim the list of ingredients and completely ignore the part about what you actually have to do.  This has bitten me in the ass on several occasions.  Turns out, my foray into WW friendly chocolate chip cookies would do the same.  These cookies were called “Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies”.  When I think of mini cookies, I think of cookies about a third of the size of regular cookies.  Of course, I should have known this was too good to be true when each cookies was only 1 point.  Well, silly me, I didn’t even look at how much dough to use per cookie.
3x the size the recipe called for, and still only
about the size of a poker chip.  Better than the cookie crisp size
the recipe called for!
                So there I am, in the kitchen on Friday night with Scott, putting together these chocolate chip cookies.  I mad the dough, preheated the oven and had out my baking sheets.  I get to the part about portioning out the dough, and it said to use HALF A TEASPOON for each cookie.  I thought that seemed small, but decided to go for it.  I portioned out about 6 cookies, and Scott had the biggest WTF look on his face.  He asked if I was making cookie crisp.  It was the saddest looking cookie mound I have ever seen.  After some discussion and disappointment, we decided to make the cookies half a TABLESPOON each, which still made some pretty tiny cookies.  At 3 points apiece, I’m not sure they were worth it though.  The cookies tasted good, although I did have to add an extra tablespoon of softened butter, because there wasn’t nearly enough fat to cream the butter and sugar together.  Here is the recipe:

1 point per cookie with the WW serving size, 3 for my serving size

2 Tbsp salted butter, softened (I used 3)
2 tsp canola oil
½ Cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg white
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp baking soda
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
In a medium bowl, cream together butter, oil and sugar. Add vanilla, salt and egg white; mix thoroughly to combine.
In a small bowl, mix together flour and baking soda; stir into batter. Add chocolate chips to batter; stir to distribute evenly throughout.
Drop 48 half-teaspoons of dough onto one or two large nonstick baking sheets, leaving a small amount of space between each cookie. Bake cookies until golden around edges, about 4 to 6 minutes; cool on a wire rack. Yields 1 cookie per serving.  (I used ½ tablespoon measure and cooked them about 8 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment