Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sweet Potato and Apple Hash

Rumor has it that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  I kind of hate breakfast.  Okay, hate may be a strong work, but breakfast is not my favorite meal of the day.  I don't love most breakfast foods, and if given the choice, I always choose breakfast that looks more like lunch or dinner, like an egg sandwich or chicken & waffles (mmmm the chicken and waffles from Miss Shirley- to die for, but so NOT Weight Watchers friendly!)  The only exception to my breakfast indifference is bagels.  I could eat a bagel 3 times a day.  I'm from New York originally, so good bagels are in my blood.  Thankfully, there is a place in Annapolis that serves pretty good bagels so I can get my fix every once in a while.

Now, the real horror here is that I married a man who LOVES breakfast.  I'm pretty sure he would eat a breakfast meal 3 times a  day if he could.  Pancakes, waffles, eggs, etc. Scott loves them all.  So I have to compromise.  On Saturday and Sunday, since I like to revert back to being a teenager and sleep till around 9 or 10, I usually one eat two meals a day with a healthy snack, like fruit, in between.  Coming up with breakfast recipes that I will like is pretty hard, but this hash I made was pretty good, even for this breakfast hater.  Hash can be really pointy, with lots of potatoes and meat, so I lightened this up by subbing apples for some of the potato, and I only use a little bit of really good quality meat. 

This is a great, hearty, weekend breakfast.  Enjoy!

Sweet Potato and Apple Hash
10 Weight Watchers Points + per serving (serves 2)

2 slices of bacon
1/2 onion, diced
1 10 ounce sweet potato
2 medium apples
2 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs

Dice bacon and saute in non-stick skillet. Spoon out about two tablespoons of bacon fat and reserve. When the bacon is almost done, add the diced onion and cook until golden brown.  Meanwhile, peel and dice the sweet potato, and put in a microwave safe bowl with 1/4 cup of water. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 3-4 minutes, until soft.  Peel, core and dice the apples.

Add the sweet potatoes to the onion/bacon mixture, and let brown for a 4-5 minutes.  Add the apples and cinnamon, and salt and pepper to taste.  Saute for about 4-5 minutes, until apples are just cooked.  Split hash into two bowls. 

In the empty skillet, put the bacon fat back and heat.  Crack four eggs and cook them to your preference.  I like them over easy in a hash so that the yolk coats all the other ingredients. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment