Friday, June 8, 2012

My go-to pot luck recipe: Bacon Beet Horseradish Dip

Like most people, I am invited to several pot luck events throughout the year.  I always want to bring something tasty and unique.  I already know there will be at least 2 different kinds of broccoli salad, so why not go with something I am sure no one else will bring.  Of course, now that I am letting everyone in on my little secret, I might show up to a pot luck and find this dip already there!
The world needs more pink food!

The great thing about this dip is that it is both delicious and and conversation started.  I personally believe that the world needs more pink food, and if that can be done without artificial colors, that makes it even better.  It is very easy to make this, takes about 20 minutes, and even through people will be apprehensive at first, everyone who tries it enjoys it. This past weekend I brought it to Scott's company picnic, and it was well received.  Plus, bacon makes everything better!

Also, this not a particularly healthy recipe.

Bacon Beet Horseradish Dip

1/2 pound of bacon
2 8 ounce boxes of cream cheese
1 cup sour cream (you can sub light sour cream or mayo)
8 ounce jar of Gold's horseradish with beets

Dice the bacon, and cook until crisp.  Drain off all the fat.

In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, bacon and horseradish together.  Your dip will be bright pink, and will be awesome!

This goes well with cut up vegetables, pita, tortilla chips, or bread.  My favorite thing to serve it with is the Russian brown bread that I get at Whole Foods.  To be extra fancy, serve it in a bread bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment