Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Recipe: Ham Crusted Quiche

Ham Crusted Quiche
Sorry it has been so long since I’ve posted a recipe!  I’m sure you all know how it is, life just gets the in the way and all the sudden you wake up and realize you have been neglecting your blog!  And while I was neglecting my blog, my healthy journey has been doing some ups and downs.  I find myself on a great path, and then stumbling.  I’m trying to focus on the positive, and when I stumble get right back on the horse instead of letting it derail me, but I am by no means perfect and that doesn’t always work!
One of things I have been working on it is trying to not rely on carbohydrates so much in my meals.  I was feeling like every day, every meal was carb-heavy.  I don’t think that it is necessarily a problem to eat a diet high in carbs, but I felt like it was slowing me down, and I like to mix it up a little and give myself new challenges.  I also am doing a half-share of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture where I get a “basket” of fruits and vegetables) and want to make sure that everything I get is being eaten.  I have tried several of the “low carb” recipes that are popular right now, like the cauliflower pizza crust.  The verdict on that one is that it is good in its own right, but it is not the same as pizza crust.  The cheese mixed with the cauliflower does give it a nice crunchy texture, and I prefer a thin crust to the cauliflower crust, but I would make it again.
I did, however, make a low-carb recipe that I am enjoying a lot.  We get a dozen eggs every 2 weeks with our CSA, and what is a better use than a quiche?  It is totally customizable, and you can make a different variation all summer long.  I wanted to make it to bring to lunch at work, but the pie crust full of butter and flour is not on my current to-eat list.  I went searching on the internet for ideas on other types of crusts, but they all seemed to be based on other carb-heavy things like potatoes.  However, one link to a flickr account caught my eye: a ham crust
This seemed like the perfect idea, but I wasn’t in love with the rest of their recipe for the quiche, so I kind of mashed up a bunch of recipes I had in my head and came up with the recipe below.  It turned out really well, and this will definitely be added to my list of go-to recipes!

Ham Crusted Quiche
6 servings
4 Points Plus per serving

6 ounces deli ham
4 eggs
1 cup milk
4 ounces light Jarlsburg/swiss cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 pint mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 garlic scapes or green onions, sliced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray pie pan with olive oil spray, then lay the ham out so it covers the entire pan.

Mushrooms and Garlic Scapes


In a non-stick skillet, heat up the olive oil.  Once hot, sauté the mushrooms and garlic scapes or green onions until the mushrooms release their liquid and it cooks off.  Set aside to cool.


Eggs and Milk ready for
whisking






In a bowl, break up the four egg yolks, then add the milk and whisk and until combined well.  Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the cheese.  Finally, stir in the mushroom mixture.  Gently pour in to the pie pan on top of the ham.   Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the eggs are set. 

Ready to go in the oven
 Some of the eggs might end up on the outside of the ham because it will shrink a little in the oven, but this doesn’t mess up the taste or texture.  Let cool for a few minutes, then slice and enjoy!  (As a note, there may be some liquid released from the ham, but this did not mess up the quiche at all.  Just don’t let your husband drain it in the sink and drop the remaining servings into soapy water!)

No comments:

Post a Comment